Monday, January 30, 2012

What can be a star I see tonight that is large and changing colors?

Has anybody seen something like this? A star that changes colors like red, silver, gold etc? And why is it changing colors? It out this evening. By the way I am in ArizonaWhat can be a star I see tonight that is large and changing colors?Stars twinkle and sparkle when the atmosphere is turbulent or has density differences. A bright star can twinkle all colours such as red, green, blue, white, yellow, etc. as the starlight is refracted by the atmosphere (different colour wavelengths refract differently).



Any star will twinkle (its technically called "scintillation"), but brighter stars tend to appear to twinkle more to our eyes.



So without knowing which direction, how high above the horizon, and what time you are viewing this, there is no way we can tell you which star it is.

You can use Astronomy.com's feature "Your Sky Tonight" to find it, or stellarium.org.What can be a star I see tonight that is large and changing colors?I agree, for the past few nights I've seen a star that was twinkling red and a bluish green. I've been trying to figure it out and it's just to the lower left of Orians right foot. I looked it up and found it it's the star Sirius. It took me a bit to figure it out but now I'm 99% sure it is.

Report Abuse

What can be a star I see tonight that is large and changing colors?This is known as scintillation or twinkling, and is caused by the star's light being deflected by the Earth's atmosphere. It's impossible to say which star this might be without knowing your exact location and time, and the direction and altitude of the star.

No comments:

Post a Comment