Thursday, February 23, 2012

What is it about star-crossed lovers that appeals to the romantic?

I'm a sucker for star-crossed lovers and tragedy. Separated lovers, lovers who die together in the end, stories where only one of the lovers die, forbidden love, you-and-me-against-the-world kind of stuff.... Romeo %26amp; Juliet, Tristan %26amp; Isolde, Lancelot %26amp; Guenevere, heck even Peter Pevensie and Susan Pevensie (in fanfics, of course--it's a fordbidden love because they're siblings)!

I don't get it! Why am I such a sucker for star-crossed lovers?What is it about star-crossed lovers that appeals to the romantic?Susan and Peter? ew....





Well imagine a story that goes like this: boy meets girl, it's love at first sight, they're perfect for each other, they get married and have babies. The end.

Boring eh?



If there's no obstacle, there's no story. It's really that simple.What is it about star-crossed lovers that appeals to the romantic?I find it for appealing because it adds excitement. The world is very mundane to most of us and even though regular romances can catch me, forbidden romances seem out of the norm. It's exciting enough to make my heart race and get me invested and yet it's a realistic excitable and I think readers like to think that they could one day experience that.What is it about star-crossed lovers that appeals to the romantic?Guess it has something to do with fighting for the one you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment